Please note: At this time, this section focuses on actions related to the House Muprhy Bill (HR 2646). It will be updated in the near future to reflect actions that can be taken to stop the Senate version (S. 1945), as well!
It can be really hard to know where to even begin when it comes to the legislative process, but there are a number of things you can do and some of them require very little energy. These include:
- Sign this petition and share it with your friends!
- Share blogs and articles against the Murphy Bill on social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
- Write or call your state legislators (see below for sample statements)
- Stay informed about recent developments!!!
- Write letters to the editor of your local newspaper or magazine or blog on-line! (See below for tips on how to do this effectively)
Contacting your Congressperson:
To find the contact information for your representative:
Your letter can include these suggestions adapted from @bazeloncenter on twitter
- “As a constituent, I am calling (or writing) today to ask you (or Representative ______) to oppose the Murphy mental health bill H.R. 2646.
- It severely limits critical legal advocacy on behalf of individuals with psychiatric diagnoses
- It reduces privacy protections for individuals with psychiatric diagnoses.
- It redirects federal money from innovative programs to involuntary outpatient commitment, which is expensive and ineffective.
- And H.R. 2646 increases needless institutionalization.”
Meeting with Your Congressperson:
Click here for information on how to schedule a meeting with legislators and what to say when you go!
Writing a Letter to the Editor:
Click here for some tips on what to do (and not do) when writing a letter to the editor couresty of www.reclaimdemocracy.org!